Stevedores, port workers & other third-party contractors
At CNCo, we care not just about the safety of our people, but our contractors too. Both our operating divisions, Swire Shipping and Swire Projects, work closely with all port services partners to ensure that the safety culture extends beyond our vessels and are reiterated during operational activities ashore.
We understand that achieving Zero Harm in the long term, and sustaining it, is built on continuous improvement and leveraging on vital elements of behaviours, attitudes, awareness, competency and team work.
In all our ports of call, we aim to raise safety awareness amongst stevedores and port workers.
Key initiatives include:
- Frequent sharing of key safety information and best practices
- Collecting, measuring and analysing data to monitor contractors’ safety performance
- Collaborating with contractors, charterers and cargo clients to promote safety goals and strengthen good practices during cargo operations – 3 Hazards Safety Awareness Program
- Identifying safety hazards and potential incidents, and sharing lessons learnt
- Developing a Regional Safety Champions (RSC) programme for Swire Shipping partners, aimed to provide regional safety overview for Asia, Australia, New Zealand and Pacific Islands
- Successfully starting a Safety Supervision Campaign for Swire Bulk partners in India and Thailand, where local Port Captains attend and supervise vessel operations, provide Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) where missing, highlight the safety message, and interfere in unsafe operations
We recently produced a video which states our commitment to this. Jeremy Sutton, General Manager, Swire Shipping, recited the safety pledge which we encourage our third-party partners to take.
Watch the video here: